Assigning Work || Instilling Independence
In this video (scroll down to see it) , I talked about the five things to consider or keep in mind as you assign work/task to your child. As you set the expectations for your child or if and when you run into a problem, ask yourself the following questions. It should guide you to make some changes which can help you achieve better results. Insha’Allah.
Five key points to remember when setting expectations
- Is it an age appropriate expectation?
- Have I communicated it with absolute clarity?
- Am I consistent?
- Do I follow through?
- Have I broken it down into easy and simple steps?
What are the benefits ?
- Teaches Responsibility/Accountability
- Makes them feel honored and treated like an adult.
- Builds Grit
- Trains the Will
What are some of the Practical Examples of assigning work?
- Sibling Teaching. Excellent way to review, retell/narrate and bond with a sibling.
- Household Responsibilities/chores. Allows them to contribute, build a sense of belonging and adds to family values and develops habits.
- Schedule books to be read independently and narrated. Helps them grow in ability to focus on a text, absorb spelling, vocabulary and grammar.
- Research on a subject. Builds early researching skills which will be very useful to them in higher education.